PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Imminent fraud in Nigeria?
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2012, 14:05
flareout BC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, SalesConsult; In4 for you, Zebiak

SalesConsult, perhaps I'm a little jaded, and sometimes forget to give these people a chance. But if I'm not mistaking, you reside in the UK. Try my neighborhood in Benin City, where there's no power supply, and occasionally, very occasionally, they remember us, and then bring ridiculous bills at the end of the month, and throw in the gutters the local government calls roads (in OFFICIAL records they are tarred; macadamized) and you won't be in a hurry to give them a chance at all. One of the reasons why the Police ignores frantic calls spurred by armed attacks by robbers is the bad roads (we almost believe them now).

Zebiak, info comes to me late and my residence is far from Lagos (there's no electricity supply, although the house is wired, there is a meter and the power company NEVER fails to bring laughable bills every month), so I'm always behind on the news, but try nigerianaviation.wordpress.com. Their updates are delayed these days but altogether, they're doing a nice job.

Zebiak, new developments seem to be the flood of European operators cashing in on the booming charter market. Our zillionaires can't stand the awful roads they created, and new entrants are meeting the need for charters to them and private and executive customers. South Africa's NAC, which administers Hawkers in Africa for its US makers, has sold/and/or is maintaining at least 17 Hawker 800/900s in our country. Insiders insist some of the Hawker outfits are fronts for air taxi ops, by the way. There is a Prime Air Service with fancy equipment, a certain Barbedos Group, another one whose machines spot the Cirrus Airline logo (Cirrus is either German or Austrian; VistaJet's Challengers come here and spend weeks on end), and numerous new players. You'll find EMB 600s, Lear 45s, Challenger 600 and 300 galore, Dornier 328 prop and Jets, the works, they are here. Private equipment is even more exotic (all heavy iron except BBJ and ACJ present). And make no mistake, the registration, technical and flight crews of these machines are South African or European.

Local operators: Chanchangi operates a wet leased B373-300, down from 5 B727-200s and 3 737-200s four years ago. IRS has grown to6 destinations and 5 Fokker F100s, some of which have LED lighting in the cabins with electronic flight bags for the cockpits soon. Chanchangi's undoing is said to be disagreements between the sons of the founder, who held management positions but were born by different mothers. The IRS family is polygamous too, but they didn't let that stand in the way of business. Taraba State set up an airline; their sole EMB 145 should be delivered about now. Undisputed leader in terms of pax flown, destinations, fleet or any index is Arik. Its fleet is far and away the most diverse and modern, although the widebodies are wet-leased, flown by Europeans. Aero is still perceived to be the safest operation. Air Nigeria has potential, if they can activate their London licence/route. Air Nigeria's B733/734 fleet is about a dozen now. A niche player run on common sense and vision is Overland, whose CEO is an active pilot. Fleet is 3 Beech 1900D and 3 ATR 42-320s. Scheduled routes are Lag-Asaba-Abuja. They once tried Katsina, but pulled out due to mounting losses. Kwara's ex Governor Saraki conceptualized and birthed a flying school; it's functional, at Ilorin. Dana is owned by the Indian importers of Kia vehicles, and flies 4 MD 82/83s. It's accused of racism, and you can guess who the victims are. Take care, God bless.