PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BFTS JP Syllabus
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2012, 08:58
teeteringhead

Gentleman Aviator

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Serious question amongst the banter and sandbags - what it is about the military environment which produces absolute shocking instructors?
... serious answer: and of course you mean "shocking fixed wing instructors." I know I'm biased as a QHI, but I'm forced to agree with you on QFIs - my dodgy one was an ex-Valiant co (dates me!), one of a number who were shunted to CFS when the mainspars cracked (see point 8 below).

So here goes - in 2 parts:

Good Points on CFS(H) and/or QHIs

1. No creamies! Importantly, all instruction could be related to front-line flying.
2. CFS(H) has a single course, whether the baby beefer is going to instruct on Squirrel basic or Chinook OCU; ergo, it teaches how to teach and not what to teach.
3. CFS(H) staff have some flying experience in the last 10 years outside Lincolnshire or the Vale of York!
4. Tri-Service environment has always been maintained - just like Upavon in 1912!

Not so Good Points on CFS (Fixed Wing) and/or QFIs

5. Creamies - with some notable exceptions!
6. QFIs taught (mostly) on the aircraft on which they will instruct - discourages wider thinking.
7. Many CFS Staff seem to have been there since Pontius.
8. Not sure how it sits now, but in the past CFS used as "dumping ground" to ease manning. Eg - co-pilots not quite ready for Captaincy (or whose fleet breaks - see above) get sent to CFS to boost P1 hours.

Biased opinion - of course; but much truth.

Discuss.

Last edited by teeteringhead; 30th Mar 2012 at 09:55.