PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COULD you land a passenger jet (if you ONLY hold a PPL)???
Old 30th Mar 2012, 08:49
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
Do not know what the fuss is about-I had a go on a 320 sim at LGW and landed it pretty well first time. Easy if you have some MSFS knowledge and know what the main controls and instruments are about.

Of course it was set up as a fully configured and stabilised approach 4 miles out no wind and daylight flaps selected and gear down.

oh I did have a real 320 captain sitting in the right seat coaching me a bit

and its an Airbus so auto trim and auto speed control means theres not much to do on the approach .

And you dont have to judge the flare because it tells you when to do that and take the power off-at least i think thats what the voice shouting retard retard at me meant.

Oh and I ran off the runway a bit about 300m from touchdown but that doesnt really matter does it.

Prety easy really.

Try it again, same scenario but add a bit of cross wind and at night and no help from the right seat either and , well lets just say its very different and very difficult .

Throw in heavy rain and light windshear and its pretty clear why people need hours and hours of training and practice and why it is a job that not everyone can do however hard they try.

A great experience and if you have the cash to have a go highly recomended and extremely interesting.

I tried a 737 NG sim a few months later (1960s Ford Cortina compared to 2012 Honda in flight deck layout and comfort) similar results on landiing except 737 was harder. Very interesting and impressive the performance was after an engine out on climb out -a real confidence booster for anyone a bit anxious about flying although again I suspect a bit different when it happens for real in a heavy aircraft.
Pb