PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 300 to 1500 hours? How are you going to do it?
Old 30th Mar 2012, 07:51
hikoushi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My two cents as a US major airline pilot who started as a CFI:

Not to advise for or against PFT, etc. That is a matter of personal situation or personal opinion. But, just as a counter to the "GA / FI experience is worthless" crowd who may discourage you from FI'ing.

Started as a GA pilot with no professional aspirations, had another career and flew for fun. A lot. Decided to drop everything else and go for it. Being in the GA world already, went the GA route. Just wanted to be an instructor, looked up to my CFI (an old-timer). Got CFI, instructed about 1500 hours; got tons of multi / XC / night, checking experience, all over the country. Got an ATP on my own dime, just for fun. Decided to try airline flying and applied to a regional. Got hired and flew turboprops and RJs around the US. Upgraded to captain, made check airman. Applied to and eventually was hired at a US major. Still there, still love it. Still flying GA on the side and instructing a little, too.

For what it's worth, without the CFI experience would've never made check airman at the regional. Without that experience would've never had a chance at the major.
Instructing teaches you to instinctively feel what the other guy is doing. How to remain in control of an airplane while someone else is (unintentionally) trying to crash it, and stay calm. Believe me this will help you when you get a command somewhere. If you are a nervous-nellie by nature it's not for you, but otherwise it's unbeatable "command" training. Just make sure you maintain your own skills, both so they don't rust and so you can effectively demonstrate to students (which itself is an opportunity to practice).

Don't know what makes the European system so hard to work with, but instructing is instructing and I guarantee you you will be a better, more well-rounded pilot from doing it.

Whichever way you choose, good luck.

Last edited by hikoushi; 30th Mar 2012 at 08:02.