PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - any significant others here who can enlighten me about life 'over there'?
Old 30th Mar 2012, 05:31
Left Coaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, lemme see, just back from an Elton John concert and looking forward to the Eagles in April, and for those who are a fan (I am not!) Madonna is doing two shows in June...Abu Dhabi has a world class F1 race track, Dubai has super star power when it comes to tourist attractions (if that floats your boat) Restaurants from A to "zee" and all you might ask for regarding stuff to buy, and yes you get the things you can get a home most of the time. Cars are way cheaper than in the US... it goes on and on... I would guess that it's EK your husband is joining, so the ease of getting settled in is somewhat better than those who join other companies. Forget your cloistered US media reporting and come with eyes wide open. You will have some advantage at first, because you will be living close to, and have something in common with the people who work with your husband. (Careful with that, it can go sour very fast if you let it). Keep some things private, the glass houses have thin walls! The cultural barriers fall fast if you put even a small effort in to see where you are. I will grant that it's very likely you will have your eyes opened to what the world actually looks like and there are some shocking examples of excess here as well as the sad opposite side of the coin, but I dare you to not find that in your own country. Enjoy your new experience... you'll be amazed at what you miss out on if you stay home in the Land of the Free!

Last edited by Left Coaster; 30th Mar 2012 at 09:21.