PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2012, 04:09
Old Carthusian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clandestino
If I can perhaps explain further the situation is a lot more complex than my sentence indicates at first glance. A significant factor in all this is that the training and cultural deficiency doesn't necessarily manifest itself in a series of similar or repeated incidents and also that most pilots will not be affected by it. I suspect that every airline has pilots who whilst not being inadequate are not up to the skill levels of their counterparts. Most airlines are adept at weeding these out or conducting training in such a way that those individuals never become a threat. However, occasionally it seems an airline develops a culture which neglects training and develops a casual culture allowing a threat to develop. Examples where this can be identified would be Pan Am, Korean Airlines and China Airlines.
The incidents that happen do not occur in the same area but rather manifest themselves as lapses of judgment which a well trained pilot would not make. An airline in this situation may well have many competent and professional pilots but a laissez faire attitude. One thinks here of Pan Am's flight attendants unofficial blacklist of captains to avoid. Air France seem to have fallen into this situation - the past years incidents suggest that training is deficient and that culture is also an issue. The Air France safety audit report makes disturbing reading and what I note is that the terminology used to refer to the culture is similar in nature to the other airlines. It may be that we can consider this crew exceptionally unable but the A380 incident for example shows a disregard for basic standards at Air France that suggests otherwise.