PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Propeller torque & engine torque
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2012, 03:55
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Torque

Aerobatt77, 13820 Engine RPM which gives 1021 RPM at the Prop via a two-stage reduction gearbox (13.54:1 reduction ratio). The torque meter is mounted between the engine and the input to the gearbox. An outer sleeve which is mounted only at the engine end has a sensor mounted in it which measures the twisting of the driving shaft under load, positive or negative. Of course the measurement accounts for gearbox friction, accessory drive loads and propeller load. As I said, it is a measure of engine torque available and the 19600 in/lbs limiting torque is more about stress on the engine mounting structure than the load on the engine. The three models of the C130 (A-E-H) I operated all had the same Maximum Torque limitation despite different power outputs and propeller installations. At the end of the day, in relation to torque, all I was interested in was whether or not I was getting the torque required for the prevailing conditions. I suspect you know all this stuff anyway. Have a good day.

Last edited by Old Fella; 30th Mar 2012 at 04:13.