PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BFTS JP Syllabus
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2012, 03:01
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
There was a deliberate and definate change in the style of instructing in the early 90s. My CFS course was the very first to receive some training in instructing psychology in an attempt to improve the pass rate. That famous scene from 'Fighter Pilot' was used as an example of how not to instruct - it was precisely that sort of thing they were trying to stamp out.

And on the FTS, there was no doubt there was an attitude change. This might have been a result of the new aircraft (Tucano) and the weeding out of a few of the old dinosaurs, but it was a positive improvemnet. For the student, he constant threats of being chopped had largely disappeared and there was a much more pleasnat attitude. And the more positive attitude improved the training environment and it was considered that standards and pass rates had improved.

As for my QFIs, I had the new creamie which was hell (one comment: "my twelve year old sister could do better than that!") and a sucession of fast jet aces who were often very quick to point out my many shortcomings. The one who got the best out of me was a Canberra pilot - but by that stage the damage had been done.

Interestingly, I didn't keep in touch with any of my instructors (except two who later became fellow QFIs). But I am still in touch with quite a number of my students.

Wiggy - I only did a couple of trips with you as you were on the other flight - but I enjoyed them (LL Nav!).