PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie MRH-90
Thread: Aussie MRH-90
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2012, 00:32
ozbiggles

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts
G'day Trojan
I completely agree with you regarding giving our troops what they need to do the job, I think we all do. I also agree the army is and has been doing the majority of the heavy lifting. And probably like you too I get wet eyes every time I see the families of fallen soldiers dealing with the loss of a loved one and fear for what repeated deployments does to ones life.
But I firmly believe all elements of the ADF do what is required of them by their political masters. I'm not a knuck but I know what the fighter boys have done and what they are capable of if required. The cost of sending an Australian fighter Sqn to the MEAO now vs the amount of work they would do is probably a main reason for there being no deployment. I remember the bidding war an American Sqn had to be involved in a big operation in Iraq post 'mission accomplished' simply because they had been doing months of nothing but CAP. In addition I think we are dealing with the issue of how long we are going to have to keep the classic F18 going before the F35 arrives.
In regards to the MRH 90 I think if it had delivered what it promised we would all be happy now. I think the logic however of buying off the shelf American would have made far more sense, particularly as they are the ones we are going to play with and the support in country that would provide.
As for airdrop, your after my heart there!!!!