PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions about Qatar 787 Ramp Up
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2012, 00:18
Iver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would certainly be interesting to get hired onto the 787 at QR (lucky timing for a newhire I guess). Sure, not many 787s flying and you could argue not good for job security as a newhire. Then again, it sounds like a "career" airplane in terms of technology and everything you fly after the 787 (i.e., back to the A320 or maybe to a 737-800 at another airline) would be a technological step backwards... Even the 777 cockpit looks dated in comparison - I presume it pays better than the 787 at QR.

Photos: Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

I would think that the A320 pilots at QR would be clammering to fly the 787 given the crazy/exhuasting rosters they have (note previous roster thread for examples). Is that not the case? Why would an A320 FO at QR who has the ability to move from that fleet not bid/request the 787? Are pilots able to bid other fleet types or are they assigned based on more subjective criteria (i.e., kissing a$$)? How does that fleet bidding work?

At least you could get some decent layovers in London on the 787 once the regional flying (crew training) on the 787 is completed. If not, I guess QR should be a place you apply to if you are really motivated to someday fly the 787 - you might get hired onto it!