PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie MRH-90
Thread: Aussie MRH-90
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2012, 22:52
Trojan1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trojan
Not trying to pick a fight but you are wrong re the F18s in the MEAO.
I'm not sure the C130 and P3 crews who have been deployed and constantly fly into the 'hot' area for 9 years with some guys over 4 deployments would think its all that low intensity.
It may not be WWII but even being shot at once is probably real enough.
I do agree the army is doing the main lifting however and deserve the best airlift/support that we can give them.As already mentionrd its not up to the RAAF when and what it goes to war with.
Ozbiggles
The P-3 and C-130 guys are doing a great job in their respective roles. Their deployments are relatively short, but the job they perform is essential. I dont know any P-3 guys personally but I have spoken to them and I know they are constantly over the AO; hats off to them. Unfortunately, due to lack of equipment and training, the RAAF hasn't been in a position to provide tac airdrop for a long time, so most of the ALG sorties are intra-theatre admin transport. The only guys who are actually mixing it with the enemy on a daily basis are the Army CH-47 crews.

Afghanistan has been ongoing for eleven years and the RAAF are yet to drop a single bomb or fly a single FJ sortie over that country, why? Cost? Not good enough when they can afford to send them to the US! The same applies to the Army's Blackhawks, which have deployed to far more AOs than the Hornets, but still not to where they are most needed. And the Tiger... eleven years and still not operational. I have made the point elsewhere and Ill make it again; air assets (in particular our fighter force) are the single most expensive capability in the ADF. Why are they not earning their keep? If you believe a war is worth fighting you can't have some commit all and others commit none.

OZbiggles, I don't want to pick a fight either, but I have seen friends deploy on repeated, long deployments. I have seen some die and others come back and ruin their lives. There needs to be some accountability WRT properly supporting our soldiers with sound and deployable kit.
I agree with 500Ns remarks regarding OTS gear. In some ways (Bushmaster) we have been world leaders. In others, such as battlefield helicopters, we should follow those who do more combat flying than anyone else and buy OTS.