PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEARJET 60 - flight and service experience
Old 29th Mar 2012, 19:51
donPablo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a nice thread

As a pilot of 60XR with 3 discs on both sides I also and fully agree with all that Epsum wrote - though I like my APU but... I would not consider Hawker for few reasons, and the main is TKS - I've flown a lot on Cirrus SR22 with this liquid sh*** and I cannot imagine what it can be in a big jet and WHO (?) certified that... i also cannot imagine a sitution where i had to use a lot of it for departure from some cold place in Europe and then being placed in some holding before Vnukovo at some ****ty altitude where i need to have this stuff on for some really long time although asking the controller who don't care (they really don't) to put me in some less icing altitutde, and then commence an approach with almost empty tank of TKS and being given a go-around (it happens a lot of times there !)... to go again into freezing trap and finish without this tks ... Plus You can't buy it almost anywhere in Europe, You have to carry it, and this is a DGR (SAFA guys will ask), You carry a lot of it and it takes Your Hawker sized bagg compartment. I don't know which Hawker You consider to tell You about the range but MUC-DXB is a rather Sovereign/CL300 route.

Learjet 60 is a great rocket to fly for pilots, for 4-5 pax it is great in the cabin too. As Epsum said if well maintained by a guy who knows that switches, squat-switches, and micro-switches are the worst nightmare of this airplane and he needs to have a full stock of them, then this airplane doesn't brake any more than any other or even ... less. Really the only thing that was wrong during my 300 hrs experience were the switches, but still they did not ground the aircraft.
You don't put that much luggage but still - You can cope with normal size of normal people for even 7 days trip and put this 5 pax, load Yourself with fuel and the performance will let You fly away from the ground in the time no other midsize will give . The range consider comfortable up to 2200 NM with an altn, or 2000 NM plus an altn. The runway length is not an issue with Russia - they all have long runways and in the most of the Europe... sure there are some places where You can't go, but after some time You may start considering it as an advantage instead of again trying to fit in some grass strip sized runway beacuse Your boss told You to land there, and indeed the charts say it's ok.