PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2012, 16:34
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RRR; (like the handle...)

"It is very unlikely that the aircraft will reach these attitudes, because fly-by-wire provides protection to ensure rapid reaction far in advance. This will minimize the effect and potential for such aerodynamic upsets.

The effectiveness of fly-by-wire architecture, and the existence of control laws, eliminate the need for upset recovery maneuvers to be trained on protected Airbus aircraft."

I think the last paragraph may have to be changed.
After one's initial PPC on a new type, approach-to-stall training is not required by the CARS (Canadian Air Regs):

(e) Manoeuvres
(i) At least one steep turn in each direction with a bank angle of 45° and a change in heading of at least 180° but not more than 360°;
(ii) Approaches to stalls

For the purpose of this manoeuvre the required approach to a stall is reached when there is a perceptible buffet or other response to the initial stall entry.

The following approaches to the stall are required during initial and upgrade PPC's:
(A) one in the take-off configuration, except where a zero-flap take-off configuration is normally used in that model and type of aeroplane;
(B) one in a clean configuration; and
(C) one in a landing configuration.
One of the approaches to stall shall be performed while in a turn with a bank angle of between 15° and 30°.
(iii) Steep turns and approach to stalls are not required when the PPC is conducted using either a LOFT scenario, a scripted PPC or a fly-by wire aeroplane; and
(amended 2000/12/01; no previous version)
(A) for an initial PPC on aeroplane type, steep turns and approach to stalls have been satisfactorily demonstrated during initial training;
(B) for a semi-annual or an annual PPC:
(I) steep turns and approach to stalls that are required in the applicable annual training syllabus have been satisfactorily demonstrated during this training; or
(II) steep turns and approach to stalls are not required in the applicable annual training syllabus.

Last edited by PJ2; 29th Mar 2012 at 16:58.