PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diamond Jubilee Vulcan Flying
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2012, 16:03
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to be a kill joy but if the Vulcan is taken back onto 'the books' then where do we stop? There is a thread discussing HMS Plymouth and to me she achieved far more than the Vulcan and NO I am NOT criticising those that want to preserve it. (We were lucky enough to see this aircraft from my house when it came down to Dawlish Airshow)

I am a HUGE fan of the Battle of Britain flight but how sad we could not afford to save any of the Second World War small ships that stopped the Nazi war machine from starving our little nation into submission? How long could those beautiful aircraft have kept flying without fuel? Not a single corvette or frigate has been saved to let our children, our grand children or even their children see the atrocious conditions those sailors had to endure, day in, day out week in week out.

I am all in favour of the MoD supplying the land\hanger space or berth IF......If it is available but that should be all they provide, I am certain there will be more than enough volunteers to maintain those things we wish to preserve and if money is needed then should we look to the lottery funds or charitable organisations to preserve these machines that would otherwise be sentenced to the scrap heap?