PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - any significant others here who can enlighten me about life 'over there'?
Old 29th Mar 2012, 15:20
Snookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

It depends on your ethnicity if you would like it here. First of all, it is not America. On the side note, i am third generation American that has dark skin. I am part native american and explain to people that i am from America. There are some people, including many pilots, who believe that to be an American, you have to have light skin. With that being said, there are subtle hints of racism that is not found in most parts of the world. I would say that the UAE is 20 to 30 years behind most developed countries in the treatment of human beings.

Sometimes it will drive you mad while other times, one just accepts it. There is more of a discriminatory culture than their is a gender specific concern by the hegemonic idealogies. Another issue is the amount of stares that a female gets in public. Other than that, Dubai is fairly safe for females. My wife can go out clubbing with her friends without being approached like you would in the states. I wouldnt say it is 100% safe, due to recent crimes against females, but it is safer than most western cities.

snookie