PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates specific questions....
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2012, 11:54
Snookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S&M,

I dont know if you received an answer regarding how much you can save but i used to be in the same boat as you. To be honest, it depends on how well you manage your money. Some people save and others live paycheck to paycheck. As a background, i used to be a regional pilot and own two homes in the states that are completely paid off and make residual income on my rentals. We travel alot (atleast once every two months) and live within our means. Nothing fancy except for our car but wanted a safe car to protect my loved ones. We eat out twice a week and maximize the discounts using the EPC and Platinum cards which gives discounts up to 20% on food. Not really a drinker so i guess i save money there but sometimes i wish i drank to drive away the frustrations of some local affairs

I put away $1500 a months for my retirement fund and send $1500 a month to my US savings account. There is also a Provident Fund set up by the company which is approximately $1000 per month (4% by you and 14% (??) by the company. You do not get your full entitlement to the fund till 7 years in the company.

Basically, $2500 goes to my retirement and $1500 to my savings per month. The rest is spent by my wife and child This place is not perfect but we are very happy we made the move.

Remember, its not how much you make but how well you manage your money.

snookie