PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F35 - Lemon?
Thread: F35 - Lemon?
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2012, 08:50
Andy_RR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DBTW
In answer to Andy_RR

Good one Andy_RR! You are clearly one who has forgotten

There was plenty of shooting/fighting where Russian equipment went up against western equipment during the Cold War.
I guess it's a matter of perspective.

I consider the Korean and Vietnam wars to be more wars of American imperialism than actual Cold War fronts. All I see in the history books is US forces machinery flying around shooting at local stuff. I don't recall Ivan flying about with his red star shooting at things, but maybe I'm wrong here.

Anyway, if the Cold War is over, but the Korean War is still not (it's only a ceasefire), I guess that eliminates it officially from the Cold War fronts as well.

Back to the question, you might have seen a few Korean-flown MiG 15's against Chuck and Abe in their Sabres, but roll the clock forward half a century. Can you spot a conflict where well-trained pilots in modern Russian machinery has been vanquished by Uncle Sam's toys?

edit- OK, so I have done a little bit of Wikipedia research (don't laugh) and it appears to me that the Russians and the Americans were shooting at each other in Korea, at least in an unofficial capacity. However, it doesn't seem to me like the MiG's, nor the Russian pilots gave a bad account of themselves...

Last edited by Andy_RR; 29th Mar 2012 at 09:06.