PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie MRH-90
Thread: Aussie MRH-90
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2012, 07:08
Trojan1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Such a short memory.
FA18s did deploy to the MEAO and conducted numerous combat missions. One day you may hear more about them.
And obviously some people have forgotten about Timor already. Although no 'combat' missions were flown there were plenty of F18 and F111s on the ground at Tindal for a long time,ready for just such an event. Most know that event could have gone either way. Just maybe the deterrent value paid for itself just there. As Mr Cosgrove said "walk quite, but carry a big stick".
The FA18 was also ready to be used in the Sandline affair, and that threat was enough to achieve the required aim.
I do remember this OZBiggles, I was in at the time. I still stand by my statement. Talking too much gets people into trouble, but suffice to say they deployed, but did not actually see any real combat. Same-same for C-130s and CH-47s deployed at the time. Hornets did bomb "threat vehicles" etc and
ended up with the same medals as those actually being shot at, but no ADF platform was allowed anywhere near the AO until all substantial threats had been eliminated by US forces. This occurred for a number of reasons. I agree re: Timor (was in then too) But The fact remains they did not fire a shot in anger, although RF-111s were flying sorties in support of soldiers on the ground, and ALG came into their own.

RAAF combat aircraft, however, have not deployed on high intensity combat of any type since Vietnam, and not in air to air combat since Korea (intercepting Cessnas and talking about intercepting Antonovs doesn't count).
Look at Army deployments over the same period. Very few infantry soldiers in
the Army today could say they have never been shot at or employed operationally in their role.

I want to know why our primary battlefield helicopter has not been deployed to
our primary battlefield; and why the RAAF can repeatedly deploy jets to RED FLAG, but not to Afghanistan. Especially since Army has made repeated calls for CAS. I know individual pilots have deployed as part of US units (this is why Ill refrain from using the R-word) but I still don't understand why the ADF is addicted to buying multi-million dollar combat kit, only never to use it in combat, particularly the 95 fighters currently sitting on the Tarmac around this wide brown land. Where is the accountability?

TBM, you hit the nail on the head. Shows what they think of it.

500N. Apologies, I misunderstood you. What is the real reason wrt airdrop?

Last edited by Trojan1981; 29th Mar 2012 at 07:18.