PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider Tugging
Thread: Glider Tugging
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2012, 06:41
cats_five

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A and C
I see what you mean about Gliding club politics and that is part of my reason for steering clear of gliding.
What I actually meant was nothing to do with politics and everything to do with size and organisation - or lack thereof. They range from tiny clubs with 30 members up to one with 700 or so.

Gliding clubs are also usually rather sensitive about a strange face being airside or in the hangers - we have no idea who they are, if they are aware of the dangers, or might be looking to thieve stuff. Of course they might simply be a spotter looking for more G regs but one never knows. Your experience was unfortunate, but I image the chap who was rude had no idea who you were, hadn't been told to expect someone turning up, and was possibly at the end of a hard week at work. He might also have been the most bad-tempered person in the club but the only one that could do that particular job. That's the downside of volunteer organisations - it can be Hobson's choice about who one gets to do the jobs that needs doing.