PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA seeks to raise Airline Pilot Standards
Old 29th Mar 2012, 05:18
Island-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand where you're coming from with your reservations regarding AQP. I agree it is a new program for many air carriers and as such is under intense scrutiny from the Administrator. Thus far my experience with AQP is that it has given the flight operations department at my company increased ammunition to procure more funding for pilot training from the executives at the company (who are always looking at training as a way to save a buck). As a result the level of precision in training has increased drastically. It does take dedication and a real willingness of the training department to adhere to the qualification standards.

With AQP we are given the opportunity to assess each pilot on an individual scale and rate as to whether there is an ability to "train out" the unsatisfactory habits that have caused them to be unable to adequately perform the maneuver. The qualification standards in AQP, in my opinion, are spelled out in as much detail as the PTS we used under Appendix E and H.

You are certainly correct in your assessment that AQP takes careful oversight by professional pilots and the regulating bodies. It's a double edged sword in that when applied correctly and in the spirit of providing proper training it is superior, but it does leave a lot of ability for an operator to "cheat" and turn out underqualified pilots. If this does not come with more rigorous oversight from the Administrator it could be disastrous for the industry. This also requires skilled and responsible check airmen - of which I am lucky to have available.

I think we may have to agree to disagree on this. In understand AQP isn't infallible and I respect your opinion and the professional manner in which you've presented it. You've definitely given me some food for thought. I do believe AQP has, at least in our case, increased the standards by which pilots are trained and allows us to more accurately identify weak points in a pilot's skillset and train it to proficiency. If I begin to see our program evolve into weaker training standards I assure you I will come here and eat my piece of humble pie for all to see. Though one way or another we are all going to AQP - the N&O requirements forthcoming in 2014 (I Think) are just a watered down version of AQP that will be mandated for all operators.