PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider Tugging
Thread: Glider Tugging
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2012, 01:57
IFMU

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
I've been an active tow pilot in two different clubs in the states. Have not seen any of the politics described above. Over here it is just fun. Every stranger is treated as a potential new member or as a potential customer for a commercial ride. It is the kind of place I like to bring my kids to.

I was recruited into my first club as a tug pilot with no glider experience. They converted and taught me. It worked out good for everybody.

I have had somebody pop their airbrakes by accident. He was out to do a long x-c and was a bit keyed up. I thought about wagging the rudder, then called him on the radio instead. The orange went away and that improved the climb quite a bit. I had one self-inflicted loss of performance when I forgot to put the carb heat back in. I had an RS-15 behind the super cub and we did not climb great until I figured out my mistake.

I think tugging is the best duty in a club. It is all flying, and it is good proficiency flying but with a mission. Tugging (or towing as we call it here) has kept me in aviation when a lot of my friends have moved on. I plan to get the commercial glider rating this year so I can do ride duty too, but I will always tow. Instructing is in my future, hopefully I can teach my kids.

Our new home page:
Harris Hill Soaring Center

-- IFMU