PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie MRH-90
Thread: Aussie MRH-90
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2012, 00:09
rjtjrt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kbrokman wrote

"First Sweden and Switzerland where non-NATO ,neutral, countries caught in the middle of the Cold war, what they did then hardly reflects on what would happen now."
YA RECKON!

"unfortunately you, as one of the sole partners in the Vietnam war , also got to suffer from the embargo."

That makes it OK then.
Imagine if this had happened to your troops in the Afghan war now - someone that you regarded as an ally and who you had served loyally in the past suddenly for reasons of "moral indignation", refused to supply AMMUNITION that you were using in Afghanistan currently, and you had no other source for, suddenly refused to support your troops.
It pissed me of, mainly as I had a close relative in Vietnam at the time.

Talk about self interest - the European embargo was done on so called moral grounds - not self interest.
As your country probably felt in the Suez Crisis (ie somewhat let down) we also felt.
As you still remember the Suez crisis abandonment, so do we re the abondonment we received from your government.
Unreliable doesn't do it justice. Disloyal, barstardry are 2 words that come to mind.

As ye sow, so shall ye reap!
We in Australia would be stupid to buy equipment from Europe in the future.

I assume we did so recently because our new generation of beuracrats were unaware of the above info. They need reminding. (Fortunately or unfortunately, our experience with the recent purchases has left a very bad reputation here for European suppliers.)

Once again this is not to imply that the people of Britain and Europe, as opposed to their government, are held in anything other than high regard in Australia and by me.

John

Last edited by rjtjrt; 29th Mar 2012 at 22:08.