PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie MRH-90
Thread: Aussie MRH-90
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2012, 23:41
kbrockman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Carl Gustav was the one I was thinking of that I couldn't remember.

kbrockman
I think we are one of the least likely countries the US would put an embargo on.
First Sweden and Switzerland where non-NATO ,neutral, countries caught in the middle of the Cold war, what they did then hardly reflects on what would happen now.
As far as France and the UK goes, you conveniently forget that the embargo was mainly the result of what happened in the Suez crisis, unfortunately you, as one of the sole partners in the Vietnam war , also got to suffer from the embargo.

If the Suez crisis showed one thing it is that, like all other countries, also the US first and foremost acts in its selfinterest, they basically betrayed their allies to fraternize with the new oilpower aka Saudi Arabia who firmly choose the side of the new Egyptian dictator, Nasser.

If I where you I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket, even a fairly safe one as the US, if you run into a political conflict with one of your neigbours, and lets be honest there is ample opportunity in that part of the world for that to happen, and your interests somehow clash with those of the US you can make a fair bet that you'll be made to comply with the US either through diplomatic pressure or even unofficial embargoes.
They've done it before , they'll do it again.

This is not a criticism on the US, but rather some kind of reality check.
There will be times your interests differ and if you decide to make yourself so dependant on them, then also be prepared to set aside your own interests from time to time to serve theirs.