PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - any significant others here who can enlighten me about life 'over there'?
Old 28th Mar 2012, 23:09
Old King Coal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're planning on Dubai?

My wife & I are now in our 4th year in Dubai and we're very happy about being here!

Yes there are, inevitably, some frustrations (especially wrt getting setup here) and there are of course some 'cultural differences' and, YES, it's a more than a bit hot & humid in the summer (that's why we have air-conditioning and 'Gulf spec' cars); but, to counter that: fuel is cheap, no taxes on your income (though if you're a citizen of the USA you're still required to give your government some of what you earn here), there's excellent shopping, food from around the world. Booze too. Pubs / NightClubs / Restaurants, etc. The standard of living (for expats) is very high. We'd also agree with what's been said about it being a very safe place!

With a quick delve into YouTube you might find some videos like this (filmed in one of Dubai's super-size malls); Have a look at the people, see what they (especially the women) are wearing, see also the mix of different ethnicities, etc.

And / or maybe these too might provide a clue as to what it's like: