PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2012, 17:08
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To characterize post apogee Pitch inputs as "mostly nose-Up" is not fair. The a/c wandered NU/ND between -3 and +17 several times.The co-pilot input ND several tmes. He had no ability to see the AoA, as we know. To constantly insert AoA in the record, knowing the pilots had no access to it, is dishonest on BEA's part. Again, several times the Nose was down well below cruise values, and continued to descend rapidly; increasing speed, and further disorienting the PF/PNF. It IS fair to ask "Why no push on the Stick to gain perhaps 20 degrees ND?"

It was PNF (LHS) who was doing the flying when the Captain entered and said "Er, what are you doing" LHS continued to fly during the initial phase of three pilot command. I can suggest that pilots reread the chronology on pp93-94 with a fair and objective viewpoint, and keep reminding yourself you have PITCH only, not AoA. It is quite clear none of the pilots had a clue as to where to put the nose, keep it, and pull out. STALL was not in the mix. And remember, the STALLWARN is WARN, not STALLED, necessarily. At one point, both sticks were to the stops, left, and the a/c was Rolled right 4 degrees, and when one stick relaxed, it immediately Rolled right to 7 degrees. I still think there was a problem with the airframe, Rudder/Lateral, that favored Right Roll, chronically.

I think it is reactionary to dismiss the possibilities of 'desperate' measures, taken by crew. Also to 'assume' 'most' displays were 'working'. If they had been, why can I not also say, "Then why the confusion on deck?" Alot of pointing, alot of statements, alot of confusion, and consternation. This includes instrumentation prior to STALL, why would that be excluded.

I would think that a fair position would be: "With so much confusion, how could the instruments possibly be working? There is no record of displays, just as there is no record of the pilots solutions. These have to be inferred, as CONFiture has pointed out in his response to PJ2. I am frankly more puzzled by the preStall record, not the utter LOC afterward. When there is no reason to say "He simply pulled up, we don't know why", then there is no reason to claim incompetence.

Especially when given the circumstances. The record of instrumentation and displays rests on the Pilot's verbal record. Relying on the DFDR to bolster an argument when no such data was available to the crew is simply dishonest. We were not there, yet so many make accustaions as if they were. And yet I am accused of Hamster Wheeling? I am suggesting the record is incomplete. WAY incomplete.