PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Takeoff and Climb thrust w/ flex/derate
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2012, 10:05
TSIO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSIO540, what you're saying does indeed confirm the logical hypothesis that we had, ie. that the CL detent commands a "FLEX" climb thrust. One question though, if you have that info: what about thrust washout? When does it happen, approximately?
When a FLEX temp is entered, placing the thrust levers into the MCT/FLEX detent gives a FLEX Takoff thrust setting (different to CLB THR).

I'm not familiar with "thrust washout" & I haven't seen it mentioned in any Airbus manuals thus far. I can only guess you might be referring to thrust reduction at the end of the takeoff???

At the designated acceleration altitude, if still on both engines, thrust is reduced to the CL detent which sets CLB THR.

CLB THR for the IAE V2527 is usually in the vicinity of 1.400 EPR and rises to around 1.600 EPR in the high thirties. It is determined through the optimization function of the FMGC by referring to entered cost index, temp, level and weight etc. (which selects a thrust setting for the level you're at and then gives an optimum speed to fly at for that given thrust setting - called OPT CLB) It is possible to increase thrust to MCT or TOGA but not desirable from a fuel burn and engine wear perspective.

Let's rephrase this: FLEX thrust can be as low as 75% of full thrust, yet it is always more than or equal to Max Cont Thrust at ISA +40? So this MCT at ISA +40 is some sort of lower limit?
To add detail to Runsick's post from FCOM 2.02.14 P14

- Thrust must not be reduced more than 25% of the full rated takeoff thrust (TOGA)
- The flexible takeoff EPR cannot be lower than the max climb EPR for the same conditions. The FADEC takes the above two constraints into account to determine the flexible EPR
- The flexible takeoff thrust cannot be lower than the max continuous thrust used for the final takeoff flight path computation (@ ISA +40) This constraint limits the the maximum flexible temperature at ISA +42 (57 degrees at sea level)
- the flexible temperature cannot be lower than the flat rating temperature, TREF, or the actual OAT