PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DUBLIN - 2
Thread: DUBLIN - 2
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2012, 08:07
Cyrano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stab3.5up
Or an extension of an exiisting flight operating into frs for example just to pivk up the slack
FRS = Santa Elena, Guatemala. I know that EK's expansion plans are dramatic but still...?

EK has had some very aggressive fares in the market to drive demand for the new Dublin service. That means that the average yield on the first few months' flights is likely to be lower.

One-stop flights bring significant extra cost, not only in fuel but also in two sets of landing and handling charges, extra cycle-based maintenance costs, and potentially additional crewing costs, to say nothing of the scheduling complexity if with the extra stop in each direction the aircraft can't return to DXB in time for the relevant hub wave. Unless the airline has traffic rights to sell the extra sector (FRA-DUB if you meant FRA above, for example - and the chances of EK getting cabotage rights in the EU in the short term are at best precisely zero), then the aircraft will be largely empty on that shorter leg.

Therefore I'm afraid that the idea of adding an operationally complex one-stop flight at considerable extra cost for just a couple of months in order to pick some a relatively small amount of relatively low-yield traffic is not really a runner in economic terms. (I am being diplomatic )