PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2012, 06:59
RR_NDB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man machine interface issue? "Stressing" Human Factors?

Hi,

gums:

The "global picture" analysis seems correct. 1X as Turbine D properly emphasized: IMHO, under "unusual flight conditions" you need:

1) Reliable System "outputs". In your second point you put "...confusing"

2) "Graceful Degradation" and "Fault tolerance" from the System. There are indications the crew lost important (System) outputs during the "long" trajectory from apogee to SL: 3) In your point #3 the "entering into the stall", "not recognition of it and lack of "correct perception" does not (could) suggest the need for a review of certain aspects of the "man machine interface"?

4) "Unusual flight conditions" were not partly derived from "UNUSUAL conditions" PF and PNF (clearly lacking proper training) were submitted from the environment outside and INSIDE the cockpit?

My comment on your question:

Am I way off base?
Is:

The "man machine interface" will be an important factor in this accident or the training, CRM, etc. should "compensate" it's (sometimes complex) characteristics?

PS

What i mean by "characteristics" is some "well known" issues observed in these "advanced flying Systems".

So a stall may not be easy to recognize, especially if the crew is trained that "you can't stall this airplane".
PS2

"Advanced flying Systems" currently uses "RIDICULOUS DESIGN" with respect to "air speed" anomalies (by non availability of adequate sensors) during transients (like occurred in this accident) . Still applying erroneously the very basic concept of Redundancy. And relied on (non properly trained) pilots to use "band aids" in (sometimes) "possible difficult situations" typical of daily commercial flights.

PS3

And I think some of the inputs from we non-commercial drivers have helped.
For sure!

PS4

Crew applied inappropriate control inputs
A fact!

Question:

In this case (a complex one) pilot (PF) error will be the cause? All "inputs" he received (before and during the flight) like training and System "outputs" will be considered important (for his actions)?