PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATR 72-600 or Embraer E-195?
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2012, 03:09
thepotato232

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The gulf between "Jet Pilot" and "Turboprop Pilot" has unduly become wider and wider as small jets have saturated the market. In some countries (like India, actually), you might as well be flying a Seminole as an ATR for all the good it does your CV. The Embraer may not have the market presence of an Airbus, but they're seeing plenty of use everywhere but Antarctica in both scheduled and corporate ops. There's a case to be made that flying turboprops into the weather and into middle-of-nowhere airfields is a critical part of a pilot's development. Unfortunately, it's a case all too often made by out of work prop pilots.

As someone who's flown turbines with and without pinwheels on them - all other factors being the same - I would emphatically encourage a starting pilot to choose a jet over a turboprop in this day and age. If terms/conditions and pilot demand were all equal, I'd be more than happy to hop back into a turboprop. Unfortunately, they are nowhere near equal on the global market. And as someone who used to work for an "E-Jet" operator, I can assure you that the market for their pilots can be quite lucrative if you know where to look. And it's a relatively pilot-friendly design to boot. If all you've seen of the aviation industry is the Subcontinent, your perspective is a bit skewed in favor of the ATR.

Of course, if you're looking for "wise ones", you'd be better served inquiring elsewhere.

Last edited by thepotato232; 28th Mar 2012 at 03:22.