PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COULD you land a passenger jet (if you ONLY hold a PPL)???
Old 27th Mar 2012, 23:04
dingle dongle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And whatFord Cortina says guys, is it in a nut shell.
So you'vedone oodles of approaches in flt sim, but you clicked images with a mouse.
Thelevers have different throws and feel, does the auto pilot have CWS and autoposition? How fast and far do you move the thrust levers for power change youwant, remembering the eight seconds lag to go from idle to max power?... mate,that has been the longest eight seconds in a number of pilot’s lives… onedegree of nose up or down can produce more rate of climb or descent than you'veexperienced yet, unless really throwing your aeroplane around. One degree istiny… concentrate on another pilot’s pitch changing in a lightie some time andsee just how much the nose travels and normally you don’t even notice it. Evenbetter, sit down the back seat of a long aeroplane that you can see out of thewindscreen and watch the ground dance around. People feel sick sometimes doingthat.
Jets aresluggish sometimes, slippery as hell most of the time and complicated, with somany switches and instruments looking the same.

No onehas mentioned pressurisation... a minor thing, but you'd probably get sued byall the punters down the back who fell out of the wreck with bleeding ears. Intoday's climate you'd find some lawyer who'd jump at the chance.
I wonderhow many little mistakes people do in these sims, are immediately corrected bythe operator to save the punter’s feelings and make him want to come back..

My matesand, too dreamed and we were looking at saving a DC3, 4 or 6, but then I slowlyclimbed the ladder for many years, one step at a time to fly 737s. We’re notjust saying “We’re good and you’re not one of us.”
I reckonwith time to get a captain from a terminal to ATC, time for him to slowly get youselecting all the right frequencies on the right radios, knowing how to operateall the systems like flaps and gear, auto pilot and the right aerodrome withthe ILS you need, (back as slow as you can go, is still four miles a minute) youwould pull it off, but as someone else said when it stops, then what? Will themob down the back stay strapped in their seats or will some hero lead thelemmings and bugger up all your good work?

In anauto land, you have TWO experienced pilots knowing exactly what each does, and WHEN(no locating or fumbling) and it happens quickly and constantly all the waydown.
I had ago at an auto land in an empty, basic 737 (not equipped for auto land) to seehow far it would get, for the benefit of my and the captain I was training’sknowledge … just in case. She went OK tothree hundred feet, then wanted to do her own thing and suddenly got heavyhanded. We would have ploughed in if I didn’t kill the auto pilot and landmanually. I was flying four to six legs a day at the time, so I was comfortablein the cockpit.

"Thrust produces lift???" Dazdaz1 ... well sort of. What you have said is maybe more for helicopters not aeroplanes... still, you probably would be a good candidate because you wouldn't have any pre-conceived ideas about your flying ability and would do as you were instructed without any questioning.

Last edited by dingle dongle; 27th Mar 2012 at 23:12. Reason: different fonts in the body