PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F35 - Lemon?
Thread: F35 - Lemon?
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2012, 21:17
DBTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good conversation to be had, Cessna Masta Beta. Whilst I have a sturdily built Russian aeroplane, and I love it, it is (as you say) very basic. The Russians are extremely good at "basic". Having said that, I do not agree they are always top notch. One of the clearest examples of this is the number of air forces equipped with modern Russian kit who never get to fly because of the lack of serviceability. This was certainly the case in the '90s when we trained with some former Eastern Bloc air forces, and it appears to hold true today if you watch the flying rates of some of the near north neighbours. Nice capability on paper is worthless if it is stuck in the hangar on the day.

Further, for some time the Russians have been doing great air shows, but little of what is demonstrated translates into military capability, although the sense of national pride and the willingness of the young you describe is an extremely important factor well worth watching.

Your comment is noted.
The Vietnam war and the Laos Secret war . But that was won with russian equipment and little air support to boot .
Not sure the USAF/USN/USMC/RAAF/RAN (and any other associated allies) would agree with that. In fact I am certain they would say politics and lack of will/commitment lost the war rather than inferior military capability. (Much the same as what is happening in Afghanistan today?)