PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COULD you land a passenger jet (if you ONLY hold a PPL)???
Old 27th Mar 2012, 16:37
SEP Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of years ago I went to the Virtual Aviation sim at Gatwick with the local flying club. All of us were PPL, I fly mainly Cessna 152 and the odd PA28, about 100 hours in total. I don't 'fly' any type of pc computer game sims, so this was my first experience in a full size, full motion sim. We flew the Airbus 320, and I was able to take off from Gatwick, fly a circuit and land (it was bumpy and the passengers would have expected a refund, but we would have walked off!!). The instructor flew the first circuit and we watched, and when it was my turn (I was last so was able to watch the other 3 have their go), he was simply giving instructions, so I was hands on - I could not have done it without the verbal instructions, but if it happened for real, and I had radio contact with someone giving instructions, then I would like to think there was something of a fighting chance! And in daylight, clear sky conditions! If I had no flying experience, then I think it would definitely end in tears...