PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F35 - Lemon?
Thread: F35 - Lemon?
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2012, 11:37
Cessna Master Beta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was plenty of shooting/fighting where Russian equipment went up against western equipment during the Cold War. Indeed, there was not a year throughout the period recognised as the Cold War where there was not actually such a shooting/fighting war going on somewhere...as everybody knows
I can think of one skirmish. The Vietnam war and the Laos Secret war . But that was won with russian equipment and little air support to boot .

As I said in a previous post on this thread I visited the Moscow air show last year. Russia seems determined to be a major exporter of arms and aviation is leading the way. After watching an aerobatics display (not flyby) by a Sukhoi jet I spoke to a F16 driver (The USAF had a display of F16's , Warthogs and Galaxys). I asked who would win in a fight . His reply was 'They are definitely move maneuverable but we like to think that our weapons are better'.

Personally I think it comes down to how determined the defending force is . In the Iraq war the airforce didn't even want to get off the ground. If an aggressor attacked Russia it would resist down to the last child . Go to any military museum and there are groups of young men being shown around .Weapons are explained in detail with the guys listening to every word. National pride is high and heros are still valued.

The reason why I said russian airframes is that any foe we are likely to face will be using russian tech anyway. We aren't facing off against F35's or Hornets as they already our allies. We could afford a larger airforce and have the advantage of US avionics. Russian equipment is normally cheaper and hardy . Think of the AK47, easy to produce and cheap but brilliant in the field .

Of course this will never happen. As we are allies of the US it would be a slap in the face to buy elsewhere.

Further off field I cant see the US letting their drone be captured in Iran for no reason . They would know China and Russia would be all over it. Reminds me of Operation Mincemeat and the D day landings.... maybe they intended for it to be captured.

My two pence