PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA/bmi merger (was Virgin & Balpa - bmi next ?)
Old 27th Mar 2012, 09:23
LHRPony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So let me get this straight. BA has to sub BMI £60 mil during the competitions process to keep it going (albeit secured on slots). At the moment BMI is mainly a shorthaul airline with only a preference system for bidding.
So under tupe BMI can’t be discriminated against, and rightly so.
Hypothetically you join at the bottom (in BMI seniority order) you have recognition for their length of service in BMi. Captains will keep command rights, BMI fo’s will get a proportion of BMi commands. You will be on blindlines, a preference system.
Your pay can only increase in this deal by coming onto the BA seniority list having BA T&C’s. You may even get bidding rights based on your BMi DoJ which is a massive increase in your lifestyle with triplines.
What am I missing here? I would love to fly Concorde and a Spitfire as much as some BMi people want longhaul commands and seniority, but because I want it doesn’t mean its going to happen.
About wanting to share on the expansion the slots will bring, you will benefit, more recruitment and that will push you up the list. But be under no illusion, you don’t own the slots, BMi do, soon BA will. BA will do with them what they want, BA pilots will fly them, which is only good for all BA pilots. The fact that they used to be BMi slots or who evers is irrelevant.
Under the above situation you have not been discriminated against, they have an improvement in their T&C’s and have a better rostering system with eMaestro.
Go and ask your colleagues from BMi baby and Regional and some people in the dole cue and see what they think, do you really think you have a bad deal?
For the record it is not a merger, BA is buying it from Lufty before they pull they plug. It is a take over. I know this wont be popular but some people (on both sides of the fence) seem to be living in their own little worlds banging tables with their fists shouting “I want I want I want” then putting their fingers in their ears and singing “la la la” when they hear something they don’t like.