PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COULD you land a passenger jet (if you ONLY hold a PPL)???
Old 27th Mar 2012, 03:39
PLovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to add to the debate I once had a job in a B737 sim introducing non-flyers to the joys of flying. Now the sim was not certified but the software controlling it was intended for instruction and, most importantly, it replicated the inertia of the real aircraft, something which MSFS and others of similar ilk do not do. It was used by several B737 endorsed pilots who commented on how close the simulator replicated the actual aircraft.

As a commercial pilot (not having flown anything larger than a C402) it took me a few hours in the sim to become used to the inertia, especially in turns and levelling off at a specified altitude. What was fascinating was how the clients coped. It was immediately apparent that those who fared worse were PPL holders. They could not get used to inertia (the weight was set around 62 tonnes) and over controlled setting up some great Dutch Rolls and this was despite a briefing where it was explained what would happen. I found the best were women with absolutely no flying experience, they not only listened but didn't have any attitude about the process. Those who had previous MSFS experience understood the FMS and how to interpret the panel immediately but again would struggle once the autopilot was off.

The owners of the business were kind enough to let me have a key to the business and I could use the sim on my own. As the thing was hooked into the internet we were able to load it with real-time weather and access the appropriate instrument charts for just about anywhere in the world on sidescreens that acted as an EFB. It was enormous fun. Now I just wish someone would let me fly the real thing.