PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2012, 22:39
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
Looks megacool: Where do I start? It's supposed to be a fast jet, not a helicopter - helicopters hovering and landing look cool, jets doing it do not. Going really fast looks cool, sitting ove and airfield at a display and bowing to the nearby sewage farm does not. Watching a25 tons of hurtling metal and thrust being caught by a trap and stopping on a carrier deck looks megacool - flopping onto the same deck in an undignified manner does not.Partly in jest, partly...
Courtney, I would say jest or no jest, this is very true. A lot of the attachment to VSTOL or VTOL in the British popular perception is routed in the unshakable pride that it was this country which built the only truly successful such design. When I listen others comment on this subject, not least Jim Murphy, the idea is that the Harrier was untouchable in terms of shear performance. The same attitude persists in regard to the F35B. But, as I poster earlier, it can't possibly perform, in any parameters, as well as the F35C & A!

FB