PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Boy
Thread: New Boy
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2002, 13:27
HugMonster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd add a little more emphasis to the question about how badly you want to be a pilot, as well.

If you're simply attracted to the glamour of the job, the idea that pilots get paid huge salaries and have women dripping off them, then a career in aviation is not for you.

The training, the early years of the career can be (and usually are) fairly hard. The training and the studying require a lot of dedication.

A junior First Officer in, say, a small regional airline or a freight operation, is not paid a lot at all.

Flying is my second career as well. I often wonder, knowing then what I know now, I would have done it. Generally the answer is yes, as I wanted to fly from a very early age indeed. I love flying - I live for flying.

I had a command on a regional twin turboprop when I was made redundant in the wake of 11th. September along with all my colleagues. It's happened before - there are no longer any "Jobs for Life". Now on the dole, trying to get back in. Not easy in the present climate, but I'll get there eventually.

If given the above, you decide "Yes, I want to fly more than anything else", then the best of luck to you. Go for it with both hands.

Remember always that, in aviation you have never ever written your last exam or your last cheque. Be prepared always to learn. The day I stop learning in aviation will be the day I retire. The day you think you've finally mastered it is the day you become a very dangerous person to fly with.

If you live, think and breathe flying, do it. For those with the dedication, it's wonderful way to earn a living.