PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2012, 19:17
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote: "Personally I just cannot see a third runway at Heathrow (some of us remember when 05/23 was active then somebody decided to build a terminal at one end - foward planning I don´t think so) being built."

05/23 did not allow for three runways to be used simultaneously: it was either 09L/27R and 09R/27L or 05/23. That's why it had to go, in order to facilitate terminal expansion. A new 10/28 would allow all three to be used together.

Quote: " Nimbys and public enquiries etc spring to mind. As for Northolt another non starter I´m afraid just would not work. The only solution to my mind is joint runway operations at Heathrow (take-offs and landings on both runways) but we know that won´t happen because the CAA (Campaign Against Aviation) would not allow it on safety grounds - but it happens in other countries."

It has nothing to with safety, mixed mode is banned to allow residents a noise-free period either before 1500 or after, alternating daily. No third runway would almost certainly lead to the adoption of mixed mode eventually - they're already experimenting with it. Mixed mode would be the only way to increase capacity. The congestion at LHR, however, would get worse with longer queues to take off and land.

Quote: "Going back to see Barling Magna eulogise over easyJet´s Southend operation may I remind everyone that the three aircraft operating from that airport were transferred from Stansted but good luck to Southend I think they will need it in the long term when the introductory deal from Stobart runs out"

Let's hope SEN is a success, it could be a template for NHT.