PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA/bmi merger (was Virgin & Balpa - bmi next ?)
Old 26th Mar 2012, 18:12
Tay Cough

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If the EU drag their feet any longer on this or require ridiculous concessions with regard to slot divestment. Could IAG simply say, ok rather than incorporate BMI into BA, we'll go with plan B and set BMI up as a BA Express, despite what the BA pilots voted on.

I know its certainly far from what BA pilots want but in terms of people's jobs and futures, it would probably mean that with the ensuing expansion within a BA Express, all BMI Group pilots could be employed rather than some/all facing possible redundancy?
It's extremely unlikely. Given the BA pilots' vote and the way IR works between BA and the BACC, I would suggest that purely in a financial sense, it would cost IAG an awful lot more to renege on the deal than to continue with it. I dread to think what it would cost BALPA if this happened. Half their membership and probably two-thirds of their income would probably be a fair bet.

If it were to go ahead, "BA Express" would not be on anything vaguely resembling BMI terms. I have heard figures of 40% being bandied around as the levels of cuts compared to the current BMI position. This would eventually carry through to BA mainline and ultimately to every remaining airline in the UK as, like it or not, BA sets the national benchmark conditions to a certain degree.

From a personal point of view, I would rather leave the industry.