PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manifold pressure - Altitude effects
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2012, 11:19
oggers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
italia:

The reference you gave is correct on this. It's very uncontroversial. It requires only that you read it and understand it.

OTOH the opposing view being pushed by yourself and ft whereby the air density in the manifold will be the same at any altitude as long as you set the same MAP, is nonsense that violates one or both of the following ground truths:

a) From basic meteorology; that the atmosphere exchanges energy with its surroundings - ie ground and space - and the standard ELR is therefore not adiabatic.

b) From basic common sense; that air passing into a manifold will not (except by coincidence) exchange energy with the hot engine parts at the same rate as either the standard, or actual, environmental lapse rate - no matter where you put the throttle.

-----

I can take either stance. If I make assumptions, I can 'prove' either side. That should be obvious after reading this thread
Well, you certainly haven't proved this one:

so far it seems that a reduced back pressure at altitude is the only reason for the increased power or lower MAP required? It seems then that the JAA book is wrong on that matter?