PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK MoD gives £30Bn discount to USMC
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2012, 10:55
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much did we really pay in total for those 14 Chinook helicopters, was it in excess of £1bn? We have the Americans that are desperate for more Harrier jets to either act as replacements for aircraft or in other cases to use as spares. The huge problem they face is one of availability. Are there readily available new spare parts or replacement aircraft to keep the US fleet operational?

To add to the woes of the USMC the replacement for the Harrier has significant issues which means the current aircraft will have to remain in service far longer than planned. Are they possibly desperate for our Harriers just as we are\were desperate for their Chinook. 14 Chinook plus possibly some spares for £1bn and we sell the Harrier jets plus spare parts for just pennies.

I do not accept the US is the only user of this aircraft, and are we fooling ourselves when we claim we will get preferential treatment when it comes to buying hardware from the USA if we 'give' them our Harrier fleet? We are dealing with private companies that are answerable to shareholders regarding profit margins and they are certainly not going to give equipment away.

The American government can veto military sales but have they a more co-operative ally? Have they anyone that will stand alongside them as quickly and as firmly as Great Britain? The two issues should not be put into the same basket and we should NOT give away an asset that was in my opinion worth far more than what the USA paid just to make sure we do not upset our ally.

Yes it is daft to horde unwanted spare parts or aircraft in hangers when there is no chance of either using them, or selling these aircraft but that was NEVER going to be the case with the Harrier, we were and still are FULLY aware of the ongoing issues with the 35B and every year of delay is a year longer the USMC will have to operate their Harrier fleet.

My own thoughts are that a shed load of brand new spares for the Harrier is possibly a mini gold mine whose value is very quickly going to soar. To have hangers full of brand new spares is a gold mine of unimaginable wealth. To have refurbished, low mileage aircraft as well as these spares is something that needs serious thought and definitely should not be rushed in to before agreeing any sale. I do not have a degree in economics so I will ask, 'Are we certain the selling of our aircraft was good value?' The MoD must surely have a duty to ensure we ALWAYS get good value for our money and no matter what anyone writes here, I am not convinced this disposal got the best possible return, in fact may I respectfully suggest we got pennies for something that was worth pounds.