PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It's done, don't be jealous.
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2012, 08:24
Colibri49

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spencer17 started by stating " flying fish on Unst / Shetland " which suggests that he doesn't work in the North Sea oil industry. The Unst base ceased to be used by Bristow or any offshore operators many years ago, so my guess is that he flies something like a Squirrel carrying smoults (baby fish) for the salmon industry.

If most of his helicopter flying has not been offshore but doing aerial work, then he truly deserves a medal. I did forestry and underslung and crop spraying for a couple of seasons and can testify to how "knackering" it is to do such hands-on flying and such intense concentration day in, day out with minimal rest, minimal days off and minimal automation.

What we do on the North Sea for the oil industry, where I've worked for 31 years is very much akin to airline operations including eating cooked meals while at the flying controls for up to 2 hours in the cruise. Only our quality of bitching is probably better than the airline chaps.

Sincere and heartfelt congratulations Spencer. If my guess about your working life is correct, then you need a mention in dispatches at least.

Last edited by Colibri49; 26th Mar 2012 at 08:40.