PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My first crash
Thread: My first crash
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2012, 21:25
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Maoraigh1
Is that acceptable on the Rotax? I've been told by an engineer it would damage a Continental O200, in discussion after a jammed throttle in flight. (Fortunately at cruise setting). Climb to lose speed and slow flight to airport, then stop engine should work.
Rotax engines, usually, don't have mixture controls. The few that I've seen with a mixture control it's a range around stoichiometric, there is no ICO. So, to turn the engine off you'd either have to turn the mags off, or turn the fuel off (or in extremis, you can use the choke to create a rich cut, which I've done once when the mag switches failed and couldn't easily reach the fuel tap). So, as a general rule, you do it on the mags.

Fail-full-throttle carbs is also normal, certainly on the 4 stroke Rotaxes. Makes perfect sense to me - wherever it fails, I would be happiest with a stuck full throttle, since I can always turn the engine off once in gliding range of something I can land on. I'd rather be forced to climb or execute an unexpected go-around than land NOW.

G