PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAFPS 2015
Thread: FAFPS 2015
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2012, 18:37
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
Biggus, Equilibrium et al

No need to apologise as I was being "bullish" with my opinion!

IIRC the decision to tranfer was made after the PAS spine opened, and so those that chose to transfer to PAS and then to AFPS05 hit the jackpot big time. Those that didn't had a normal pension comensurate to their rank. Quite frankly, IMHO, the PAS and AFPS05 was a complete c0ck up (but very nice for those that got it). It left people "gambling" accepting promotion to Sqn Ldr in the hope they would make Wg Cdr, or they may as well stay a "gash shag" Flt Lt and climbing on the PAS gravy train. The reason for the incredibly devisive FRIs for Sqn Ldr aircrew (a second order c0ck up) was to try and attract those to stay and go for Wg Cdr rank.

On those who elected to go AFPS05, well there are never any guarantees that you would serve to 55 - redundancy, medical discharge or change of family circumstance could all affect the ability to go the long haul. Quite simply, those that switched did take a "gamble" in my opinion and it looks like that gamble MAY not pay off (a notional 10% decrease depending on what FAFPS brings).

As Clott has been saying throughout, there are no decisions yet on FAFPS. It's up to all of us to ensure our circumstances are heard during the consultation process.

Finally, I was on AFPS75 and I'm now on RFPS05 (which is similar to AFPS05) and I'm also likely to be hit by potential FAFPS changes; so I guess that gives me a "speaking chit" and also a right to be concerned. I took a "gamble" and it has taken me outside the protection of the "10 year rule" that I would be under if I hadn't changed (voluntary just like the offer to transfer) - but you won't be hearing me rant about the fairness of it all as sh!t happens...

10 years+ notice of a 10% shortfall seems pretty fair as we've all got time to do something about it. Those of us who know others in the civilian world know that they have been suffering similar shortfalls with no back up or ability to consult. I guess what I'm saying is, it's all a matter of perspective.

LJ