PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2012, 14:27
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boofhead

Thanks for your kind and honest response. Aircraft are designed for varying roles, but all must adhere to best practice. I agree that after 109 years, the yoke is "best practice". Other than to merely be "different" I cannot state honestly what possessed the designers of Bus products to hide the SS one from the other.

Keep the joystick, no harm, ( wouldn't it be better between the knees?) but as you say, even with a yoke on the belly button, a/c still STALL. It happens generally because the second pilot is in a tight spot, politically, or he lacks self confidence. Early on, if one of my instructors had started a climb at low altitude, and held back wheel during the WARN HORN, I would not have intervened. "He knows something I don't". We may have crashed, and this happens yet.

It isn't the only problem that did in 447, but there remain more than a few puzzled by the "logic" of hiding life itself from the second pilot. That is quite literally placing your life in another's "Hand", blindly.

Thanks