PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So, the commercial pilot's days are numbered...?
Old 25th Mar 2012, 11:41
RatsoreA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe James May said it best on an episode of Big Ideas... Why aren't we all flying around in our personal automated cars wearing silver jumpsuits and moon boots?
"Imagine if the car was invented today... Ok, you get this huge heavy box on wheels, and you fill it with volatile liquid and you can drive it anywhere you want and everyone else can have one too! It'd never make it past the safety committee."

Similar with this. That being said, I was was watching something on ABC Fora about a program the US military is developing for flying fighters.

They started out landing a fighter on a carrier, and it crashes, simulated of course, but they then tell the computer to never make the same mistake twice. And then they run it for X times. By the end of it, the computer is landing the jet on the carrier 100% of the time, in all situations, OEInop, in a storm while on fire with the carrier deck pitching about like crazy. Greases it in every time. Was a good story and goes to show how far tech can take you.

I still want someone that has their a$$ to lose as well up the pointy end as well, rather than some guy who clocks out afterwards and goes home to the wife to mutter about crashing another one!