PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another look at the Ethiopean Airlines 737-800 crash at Beirut.
Old 25th Mar 2012, 10:34
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Back to the original Thread: just finished the report and I am wondeing something ( curiosity ) : before I start , I have no experience whatsoever on B737 , nor Airbus, 90% of my flying hours were and still are done manually on one engine or less.

When I started flyin in the late 60s , my (jet trainer) military instructor told me that when faced in an upset situation, during aerobatics or during a dogfight: " hands off the controls, reduce power and the aircraft will recover on its own, or come to a position easy to recover. It is the wrong control inputs that will kill you, not the aircraft". This was true on this perticular aircraft type, perhaps not on all types.

Incidentally I tried this a couple of years ago on a high performance glider , (which has a tendency to start spinning violently without warning when flying disymetrical) and it worked very well. I know that this also apply to the Aerobatic aircraft I flew ( CAP10, CAP231 )but never tried it , but not sure if this works on a modern Extra or a Sbach though... I also would not recommend to do this below 2000ft.

My question is , does this also apply to a Boeing 737 ? ( or an Airbus 330 * )

If yes, is this part of the upset recovery training ? Just curious.

(*) I was told by an AI factory pilot that in case of AF447 if the pilots had not done anything ( i.e not touch the controls) the aircraft would have come out of this despite AP off.