PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA/bmi merger (was Virgin & Balpa - bmi next ?)
Old 25th Mar 2012, 09:40
tp320777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Picture

I like most that I have come across in my short time in BA want to welcome the bmi pilot group with open arms! We are all colleagues at the end of the day and I know most of my friends in bmi see the 'Big Picture' and are just happy to have a job. I DON'T take the view that BA are doing bmi pilots 'a favour' by buying the company, IAG would not be doing so if bmi didn't bring real opportunities for BA to grow etc. I want to add my support for the bmi pilot group in these uncertain times and would hate to see any of them loose jobs.

However when it comes to seniority I made a choice to come to BA for more reasons than just the pay packet or to stay in the UK. I know several colleagues in bmi who have been to the BA selection and haven't been successful. Now I'm not suggesting that they are any better or worse than I am but why when I made a commitment to leave my seniority in my previous company should everyone from bmi jump ahead of me... Ultimately bmi is a 320 Short/Medium operator (with a couple of 330's knocking about Saudi), no jumbo's, no 777/787 or 380's, no bid line etc. So why are bmi pilots entitled to this when you don't have it in the first place. I should have this first as I was here first.

TUPE (quite rightly) protects your pay, position and T&C's you currently enjoy. This means the bmi Pilots are NOT disadvantaged by coming across to BA which I whole heartily agree with. But if the bmi Pilots go ahead of me I AM disadvantaged in the short/medium term, I find myself with 300 more or so above me blocking my chance to grow in my career that I chose and got selected to do. As full BA employees in the medium/long term you will get to enjoy all that BA has to offer but don't disadvantage guys and girls like myself in the process. That is only fair.

This post is not designed to upset or annoy anybody but purely to voice my position. Please don't bite my head off, I'm sure many from bmi will read my post and disagree but you have to look at this from all angles and see everyone's position. I really hope this gets sorted quickly and amicably, I want us all to be united as one and not spilt. I echo again whats been said on here already that the bmi Pilots should visit the BALPA forums, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how much support you have from the BA community. I wish you all the best for the future, from one colleague to another.