PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAFPS 2015
Thread: FAFPS 2015
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2012, 08:39
Biggus

Received 72 Likes on 33 Posts
As someone who isn't effected by the new pension scheme I haven't been following this issue very closely, however....

I thought it had been stated that anyone within 10 years of retirement had been told that they "wouldn't be effected/suffer" by the introduction of the new pension. Therefore the example of the Wg Cdr quoted, 7 years left to retirement, would surely fall into this category?

Also, what is the exact wording of AFPS05, if it refers to "serving" until 55, then the Wg Cdr in question is doing so...? He hasn't left the service early, and isn't taking EDPs from the age of 48 while still serving as an active Wg Cdr... He just isn't accumulating any more years in his 05 pot (that is of course assuming the "protected with less than 10 years to go" arguement isn't actually being applied)

The choice of changing to 05 or staying on 75 was a personal one, with a variety of factors, not just the 4x D-I-S. The widows pension is also better under 05, and if you coupled 05 with PAS you were in a "win-win" situation. However, as in all things, it did require certain assumptions to be made, as to staying in until 55, there is one school of thought that says retiring before 55 on the 05 scheme is actually the most financially astute option.

Sorry if I've gotten hold of the wrong end of the stick!