PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2012, 06:01
boofhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Korean MD11 out of Shanghai was pitched down some 20 degrees after takeoff when passing 2000 feet or so, and could not recover from the resulting dive.

And, Lyman, surely the reason the airplane was flying in such an unstable manner was precisely because it was being held deeply in a stall. Seeing the other pilot holding the control column back in his guts despite the shaking and pitching would have directly prompted any pilot that the airplane was stalled and that the control column should have been pushed forward, no matter what was indicated on the gauges. Without such an obvious clue, it was left to the pilots to interpret what they were seeing, and that was very confusing, to say the least.

However, as I said previously, two sets of crews on the B757 had similar indications of stall and did not respond to it, so nothing is guaranteed. I almost stalled a B737 at 35,000 feet and was amazed at the altitude loss I had to endure before I could get out of the stick shaker regime, even with full power applied. If it had happened at night and with most of my instruments under suspicion I might not have managed to recover either.

Aviation can be very humbling.